Video games go through updates all the time. These bring improvements to the game’s performance, user experience, and features but can also bring new problems, like gameplay glitches and bugs. Among Us, one of the most popular online games of today is one of these games.
Among Us received an update in 2021 called the Airship Update. This revamped its tasks, moderation system, and map design. It also created a new account arrangement with better parental controls. While most of the feedback for the update was positive, many players complained that they couldn’t type messages to their fellow players as they played.
The unable to type problem has affected a lot of players. While developers developed several updates to fix the game, many people still experience the same issue. If this sounds familiar, keep reading. We’ll list some common reasons why you may be unable to type in Among Us below, as well as the possible fixes to try so you can enjoy the game once more.
You’re Not Signed In
The Airship Update created a new account system that let players sign in to their account to experience extra features, like Account Moderation and Custom Display Names. Even though many players can play the game with Guest mode, this issue is often why you cannot type in the game.
The update deleted Guest Mode’s Free Chat ability, adding the Quick Chat feature as a substitute. Quick Chat has a wheel that includes predefined messages which players can flick through. They can choose the best message to send to other crew members.
While this is a useful addition, many people preferred communicating with the Free Chat feature. You must sign in to an account if you want to use the chat feature. The updated account system has both Quick Chat and Free Chat, so you can choose between the two as you’re playing.
You’re Aged Under 13
After the Airship update, many players couldn’t type in messages, despite being signed into their accounts. This is a simple issue. Anyone that couldn’t use standard chat was aged under 13. The Airship Update’s better parental controls limited the Free Chat ability to anyone under 13. Players in this age category could only use the Quick Chat feature as they played.
These two reasons are the main reasons why you won’t be able to type in Among Us. Either the chat setting is set to Quick Chat while you use Guest Mode, or you have an age-restricted account.
How To Sign Into Your Among Us Account
If the first issue is why you cannot type in Among Us, you will need to sign into a free account to use Free Chat.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Find the Account option on the game’s Home Screen, then select it.
- You should see a pop-up page with the Sign In icon. Select it, then use your information to sign up for a free account.
- Once you are signed in, click on Settings, then Data. See if the Free Chat option is or isn’t enabled. If it isn’t, turn it on, then you’re ready!
The steps will look a little different if you have never played Among Us before. If this is the case, launch the app and do as follows:
- Ensure that your Internet connection is stable and the latest game update is downloaded.
- The Terms & Conditions should appear after the update downloads. Accept the terms.
- A pop-up screen will appear that asks you to sign in to an account. Press sign in.
- Once you are signed in, navigate to the Settings menu and authorize the Free Chat feature.
This is a simple fix that ensures you won’t have any problems sending personalized messages to your friends.
How To Change Among Us Age – PC
If you are signed into your account and cannot use the Free Chat feature, this may be an issue with your age. Here are the steps to follow if you want to change your age in the game and use a PC. Remember that the method below isn’t the best solution for this issue. You will be exclusively responsible for any issues that occur afterward.
- Begin by making changes to your present configuration file. Navigate to C:\Users\[username], then select the AppData file.
- After you’ve opened the folder, find and open another folder called LocalLow.
- Find Innersloth\\Among Us in the file, then right-click on the document called playerPrefs. Use a text editor to open this, like Notepad.
- Once you’ve opened the document, locate a sequence of digits that look like your birth date. The date will be the one that you used when first using the game. For example, if you used a birth date of January 1, 2020, it would look like 1,1,2010. Using the shortcut Ctrl+F can save you time finding this.
- Change the year to a lower one, like 2006, 2007, or 2008.
- Once you’ve made these changes, save the file by pressing Ctrl+S or selecting Save in the File menu.
- Close the folders and launch Among Us. You should be able to enable Free Chat in Settings.
How To Change Among Us Age – IOS
If you use IOS, you will need to uninstall the game, then reinstall it again. Follow these steps to do so. As before, the method below isn’t the best solution for this issue. You will be exclusively responsible for any problems or issues that occur afterward.
- Press the Among Us icon and hold it for a couple of seconds.
- Choose Remove App from the list of choices, then touch the Delete App option.
- You should see a warning display that says you will delete all of the app’s data after deleting the app. Confirm this by pressing Delete, which will uninstall the app from your appliance.
- Reinstall the game by opening the App Store. Type Among Us in the search bar at the top.
- Press Install, which will download the app again.
- Launch Among Us, then agree to the Terms and Conditions. A popup will appear in which you’ll enter your birth date. Choose any year before 2009.
- You should now be able to use the Free Chat feature in Settings.
The Bottom Line
Among Us’ Airship Update may have affected your ability to type in the game. If you cannot do so, it’s usually down to two reasons.
Either you need to sign in to an account to use the Free Chat feature, or your Birth Date in the game shows you are under 13and have restricted chat abilities. If one of these two issues is the problem, you will find the fixes to them in our post above.